I get it, some might not be on the same style team with me when I basically put ‘polo shirt’ and ‘coolest’ together in one line. But then who can blame you. The impression you have for this preppy staple was possibly of it being one of your worst fashion choices made in the course of your style evolution since early teen years. I know, not the most thrilling memories to be dredged up at this very moment. But think again, isn’t that what fashion is all about? To revisit the past and revive something that we once considered as aesthetically displeasing into the new ‘it’ thing – things like Birkenstock, shoulder pads, fanny packs, tourist tees, you with me?
The fashion crowd’s fondness for casual chic dressing is sure a long-lasting one. And with the Olympics coming our way. It is only natural for the classic polo to keep sticking around for a while trend-wise (proof: even Versace has joined the preppy squad in its new resort collection). Well, me, the traditionalist of fashion, is all for it. For sure, the avant-garde updates sent down from the runways of Miu Miu and Stella McCartney are some great investment pieces. I personally prefer one that still retains the style’s classic essence – like this Carven polo shirt I am wearing here – perfect for everyday style. Similarly, you also can’t go wrong with an all-time signature from Ralph Lauren or Lacoste (forget about digging out that premillennial polo, but rather, get a new version from the brands, would you?).
While this classic style is relatively an easy shape to wear, there are some styling rules you could play by to avoid falling into that middle-school style trap all over again:
1. When unsure about whether to tuck in or not? Always go all in.
2. Never turn the collar up – you are crazy to even think that is an option.
3. It is always a good idea to pair it with some unexpected pieces, like a flowy skirt, wide leg pants or statement heels, to up your fashion game.
4. Wear it unbuttoned, in most cases.
5. Don’t shy away from bright colours – believe it or not, they require less styling effort than black and white.
6. Accessories are your best friend, such as chokers, skinny belts, fun socks, etc. Be experimental! (i.e. the striped scarf I threw in here)
7. Denims are your second best friend. Need me to elaborate more? They simply make everything looked cooler.
More ways to get your game on now (we only learn from the best):
Shop The Style: